Tick Talk Ireland “Encouraging awareness, prevention & treatment of Lyme Disease (Borreliosis) in Ireland.”
Tick Talk Ireland was set up in January 2009. Alarmed by the lack of knowledge & support in Ireland regarding this serious and often over-looked disease, the co-founders set up a facebook discussion & information page to help others dealing with tick-borne diseases. In the summer of 2009 a blog site was created with links to Tick Talk articles, Lyme groups in Europe & North America & tips from Lyme treating doctors on diagnosis and management of symptoms. Tick Talk Ireland aims to achieve the following objectives:
* Ensure that physicians are made aware of the need for early treatment to prevent a more serious & incurable state of infection.
* Encourage interested parties to undertake training of Lyme management (via the ILADS physician training program).
* Encourage government funding & university research on Lyme symptoms & the spread of Lyme in Ireland.
* Undertake projects and Lyme awareness events to inform the public of the threat of Lyme disease in Ireland.
* Disseminate information on Lyme prevention and treatment by distribution of leaflets, posters and postcards.
* Liaise with similar bodies and support groups in the UK, Europe and the United States with a view to sharing information and advancements in relation to Lyme Disease.
* Encourage ME (chronic fatigue syndrome) & MS (multiple sclerosis) patients to be tested for Lyme disease due to the similarity of symptoms in both conditions.
There are several ways to help support us:
1. If you’d like to help us with radio & newspaper interviews to discuss your experiences with Lyme disease feel free to contact us at http://www.ticktalkireland.org/contact.php
2. Looking for anyone willing to distribute leaflets in their local area including vets, school, clubs, sport centres, cubs/brownie groups, hospitals & libraries..
3. If anyone would be interested in organising an awareness event in their area we would like to hear from you. We can loan a copy of Under Our Skin (with presentation rights) to be shown in your area & we also have put together a presentation disk of Lyme in UK & Ireland.
4. Looking for folks to spread the word on our new tick study – if you see any ticks this summer remember to complete the survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B3XTJL2
5. Looking for scientists/universities to support & fund much needed research into tick-borne diseases in Irealand.
If you’re able to help with any of the above feel free to contact us for more details – take care & remember, A Tick in Time Saves Lyme
Thank you for your support!
Important Note: This website is intended for information purposes only and should not be substituted for medical advice by a practicing physician.
Tick Talk Ireland – “Encouraging awareness, prevention & treatment of Lyme Disease (Borreliosis) in Ireland.”